Everything to Know about our locomotives and coaching stock
313121 Manufacturer: BREL (British Rail Engineering Ltd) Holgate works, York Arrived August 2023 - Former Network rail ERTMS Test train Was withdrawn from mainline service sometime in 2022
Manufacturer: Ruston and Hornsby (number RH313390) Year of manufacture: 1952 Specifications: 165DS 0-4-0DS The big sister at the yard to ‘North British’, Number 7 saw service at Rosyth Dockyard. She is fully operational and shares permanent way duties with ‘North British’.
(RH431764) and ‘Largo Law’ (RH449753) Manufacturer: Ruston and Hornsby Years of manufacture: 1960 and 1961 respectively Operator Numbers: 1 and 2 respectively Specifications: 165DE 0-4-0 (for both) Both locomotives were operated by Scottish Power at their Methil Power Station (very local to Fife Heritage Railway). Sadly, Largo Law was in a poorer state of health than her sister Garvie and as such has been used as a donor Locomotive to allow Garvie to be worked on with the aim of bringing her back to full working order. The restoration continues.
(affectionate name used by Volunteers – she has no name plate) Manufacturer: North British (number NBL27591) Operator Number: No.10 Year of manufacture: 1957 Specifications: 440DH 0-6-0 A truly unique locomotive. She served at several collieries (Michael, Wellesley, and Bowhill) before being brought out of service in 1974. She thereafter moved to Lochty Private Railway where she once again was put to good use. She is undergoing cosmetic restoration at the moment and is not operational, however there is a strong depth of feeling to return her to full operational use should the resources become available.
Description coming soon
Manufacturer: Ruston and Hornsby (number RH421415) Year of manufacture: 1955 North British Number: 4 Specifications: 88DS 0-4-0 This locomotive spent most of her working life at the North British Distillery in Edinburgh, conducting shunting duties. It came into preservation at Lochty Private Railway, and thereafter became part of the assets of KFRPS in 1992. Number 4 is operational and works as part of our Permanent Way stock. She can regularly be seen performing shunting duties prior to the commencement of Open Days.
Manufacturer: Andrew Barclay Manufacturer Number: 1890 SGB Number: 10 Specification: 0-4-0ST Year of Manufacture: 1926 "Forth" is an Andrew Barclay 14" cylinder design built in 1926 for the Scottish Gas Board and delivered to Granton Gas Works, Edinburgh. It served there until surplus to requirements, and in 1973 moved to Strathspey Railway. Seeing no use at Strathspey and in need of a cost-effective locomotive, it fell into the hands of Lochty Private Railway, finally being brought into steam once again in 1989. Due to the closure of Lochty Private Railway in 1992 it was once again laid up and in 1994 moved along with other stock into storage at Methil Power Station. As you will know from the History page, she moved to Kirkland with the other stock in 2003, and the long task of restoring and rebuilding began in earnest once Kirkland Yard was fit for purpose. Work on "Forth" finished in 2016, and her short boiler certificate is due to run out in late 2020. It is anticipated that she will only require a light overhaul to be brought back into service once again.
Manufacturer: North British Locomotive Co. Glasgow Year of Manufacture: 1955 Number: 400 Weight: 32 tonnes Power: Diesel Hydraulic, 200bhp Top Speed: 14.5mph History: River Eden's primary claim to fame is having been built to the same technical specifications as a British Rail class 2/1. River Eden spent her entire working life at RAF Leuchars, shunting ammunition and provision wagons. Upon retirement she was sold to Lochty Private Railway where she undertook similar shunting duties as well as pulling the occasional passenger train. When Lochty closed in 1992, River Eden was placed into storage at Methil Power Station until 2001 when she made the move to Kirkland. Thankfully she had been mechanically maintained but required thorough cosmetic reconstruction to bring her back to full life. After this work was completed the Base Commander of RAF Leuchars very kindly attended the Yard and participated in the re-naming ceremony for her. Since 2001 River Eden has been the backbone of Kirkland - taking everything thrown at her in her stride and until Forth's reconstruction in 2016 - she had the sole responsibility for all our passenger trains on Open Days. Nowadays she has a separate starring role in Open Days. Not only is she usually responsible for pre-opening shunting duties she also becomes a star attraction come 11.00 am and transforms herself into our "Driver for a Fiver" vehicle where you yes YOU can take full control for a journey up and down her custom track.